To help you collaborate, you can add files to Slack and share them with your teammates. Uploaded files are stored, searchable, and shareable across the entire workspace. To add files to Slack, either choose one from your computer or from your preferred file management app.
Note that there is a maximum of 5 GB storage space for the entire workspace, so avoid uploading massive files, and be sure to download any shared files you may need as soon as possible.
Adding Files From Your Desktop
- Drag and drop a file into Slack, or click the Attach file icon in the message field and select your file.
- Add your message.
- When you are ready, send your message.
Downloading a Shared File
You can download any type of file that is shared to your workspace:
- Hover over the file you would like to download.
- Click the Download icon.
- Save it to your favorite download folder.
Tips and Tricks
- You can add files directly to your messages in channels and direct messages by dragging and dropping them
- You can comment on files and keep threads on them.
- Audio and video files play inline within your workspace, wherever shared.
- Anyone in the conversation can click the file to open it.
- You can skip the steps above to upload a file instantly by holding the Shift key as you drop the file into Slack into the message field.